Friday, January 6, 2012

Disinterest is Cool - Interest is Not

I apologize in advance, but I come to you once again with a somewhat gloomy state of the nation/world post.

For my senior year of High School, I chose to join our school's newspaper team, since I am tentatively thinking about entering the journalism field. In previous years, the school newspaper has been filled to the brim with tons of bullshit surveys on unimportant topics, a few stories on sports, and a feature story on some major school event (such as prom). It was basically good for a good laugh (at its poor execution, content, and spelling/grammar), and nothing else. Luckily, this year, a new teacher has taken the helm and wants to make it a somewhat reputable monthly (rather than every few months) circulation in the school.

A couple days ago, I arrived at the meeting for our upcoming late January/early February meeting. I have only had one other story (With two previous issues. One of which my article disappeared at printing) in the paper this year, which was what I based my SOPA article on this website on, with a few minor changes to make it apply to the readers here rather than those at my school.

Well, as people are making comments on the previous issue, all positive, our Sports Editor (Nowhere near a sports person at all) commends everybody for great articles on meaningless high school bullshit, but decides to indirectly single me out. "And about politics stuff... *ahem* Not saying any names..." He stares directly at me, and everybody else catches on, too. "Honestly, nobody gives a crap, and I don't think it had a place in the paper. It was also too long for High Schoolers to read." If I was a typical human being, I would have lashed back with the fury of a thousand suns, shredding him and the rest of my generation to pieces, but instead I took it without saying a word. Everybody except for two agreed, with one only disagreeing because she thought it looked interesting but had no clue what the fuck I was saying (Unable to comprehend basic English words, I guess.)

This brings me to the idea of disinterest with this generation. Now, if it's been the same for centuries, sorry to be spouting off what people have said forever, but I don't have first-hand experiences with previous times. Is it just me, or does it seem that as the years have gone on, each generation since the 60's has found it to be cooler to be disinterested in topics, *especially* politics? It seems to me that corporate America has slowly but surely been dumbing down the people and pushing perspective this way, since it fits with their interests. George Carlin put it best "They don't *want* a population capable of critical thinking. It's against their interests."

I think everybody notices the giant dick that both the government and the corporations are shoving up our asses, but it's not "cool" to care about this or try to change anything. Everybody accepts it, acts like they don't notice it, and doesn't seem to care. Things seem to be going on the wrong path. One or two more generations on this path and we'll have complete totalitarianism. What happened to the youth of the late 60's who questioned everything their government did? Who protested in every city around the world? As Thompson put it, "There was madness in any direction, at any hour, you could strike sparks anywhere." Every time I read that book or watch the film (No I'm not a stoner or hard drug user. Most I've used is alcohol and caffeine, though I've always had an interest in the soft stuff...), I get chills with this short piece of fantastic writing, which described a whole social movement, and its collapse. It seems we are still living in a state of collapse, always falling, and never reversing the tide.

Those of us who show interest in what the government does to us, or strongly support a candidate (besides the shitty ones who the media makes popular - Case in point, 2008 election) are viewed as eccentric, annoying, batshit crazy. Why are those who take an interest in their future the ridiculous freaks, while those who are willing to so docile as to not even fight for their most basic rights the heroes of the story? Some of us try to show these people what is happening, yet they laugh at us for being stupid, easily swayed, eccentric, too opinionated, or... gasp... INTERESTED IN POLITICS OR ECONOMICS :O

Sometimes I think that maybe I should purposefully start backing the shittiest, most destructive government officials I can, just so I can watch all these sad saps realize how wrong they are. Maybe after the Constitution is *officially* dropped, their rights are gone, the elections don't matter in *any way*, the internet is completely locked down, they're stuck in a military prison for suspected "terrorism" for the rest of their lives... Maybe then they would wake up and fight for our rights. Then again, maybe not. Maybe they would still want to be "Cool", always accepting the shittiest fate given to them without so much as a fight. Because, face it, Politics just isn't cool, broski...

Does anybody see any hope with this current generation? (The one that is in the High Schools and Universities). Personally, its my own, and I see nothing for it except the rat-race and economic enslavement. Please prove me wrong. I would love to see hope here.

25 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your failing newspaper team. I also think our generation's gone to the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call it failing so much. The story was more of a lead-in to the topic at hand. I was in fact asked to write an article for the next issue explaining the general structure of the primaries/caucuses by the two who disagreed with the jerk's opinion (one being our head editor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im in this current generation and i honestly think that we're going backwards instead of forwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how much disinterest it is rather than just the feeling of not being able to change anything or being listened to. So rather than try to do anything about it people just ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NayNaySIXX- It's a sad state of affairs :(
    InfinitePlans - I think that's more what is happening with the middle-aged parents of this current generation. Most of the population has become docile and complicit in this. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one true evil is the indecision of man. Following. We have similar views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Craig, I'll follow you back as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope those kids are a bunch of new age hippies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm to the stage where I want these bad things to happen to watch them scream and cry and be able to say I told you so. Me to the US System: Burn Motherfucker, burn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfFf1JJImY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment! Nice read, I'm really enjoying this blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our generation (current) is going no where. It scares me what the future will hold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WeiseGuy: I'm hoping for SOMETHING to spark the collective abilities and power, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I like your points, and honestly I agree with them, but by your teacher actually saying, "Nobody has interest in it. Don't write it," kind of make it seem that they're being taught to not be interested, and the students are just following? I could be completely wrong, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacob: Wasn't a teacher. Our editors are all students, and the teacher in charge just makes sure everything is appropriate, approves stuff, keeps things cohesive, etc. The teacher seemed to have liked my article

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somebody posted a comment about Ron Paul and for some reason was flagged as spam. I clicked not spam and it published, but I'm not seeing it. Whoever you are (I forgot to look at the name), I'm sorry! I didn't delete your comment! (May have been on another article)

    ReplyDelete
  16. interesting post man. i really enjoyed reading it.
    +follow forever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not american, but the problem is, that USA is so big that almost everything from there affects the whole world

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Nothing Worth a Million Dollars": Thanks, I've followed you as well!
    Watchr54: Indeed. Would like to say that what you see in mainstream media isn't representative of *all* of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Corruption is ruining the world. I just hope there is a form of justice that can deal with this. I just wish everyone was honest. This world would be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are mature beyond your years. Grow up, start a Billion dollar business, and then lobby the government officials to change the country to your will. Lay waste to your classmates by becomeing the next Bill Gates, and useing your power.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Atley, that was actually quite inspiring :) My next post might be of interest to you. It's kind of a silly idea, but it's a kind of fun little buildup a friend and I had on an idea I've tossed around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this apathy surely is a cancer... people are WAY more interested in reality shows than in real world...

    oh, and the "informed ones" are proud of repeating the bullshit the mass media spoonfeed us. it's really depressing have a conversation about politics with 99,99999% of people today...

    ReplyDelete
  23. My sentiments exactly Vulcan. Pretty much all you get is "Hurrr we have a deficit problem. Hurrr let's spend billions on invading Iran"

    ReplyDelete